St Joseph’s School is located in the town of Uralla NSW on the corner of Bridge and Wood Street. The town of Uralla is located approximately 22km south of the city of Armidale. All students attending St Joseph’s live in the town of Uralla, or the surrounding areas. St Joseph’s School Uralla was established by the Sisters of Saint Joseph in 1886. In 1896 Mother (Blessed) Mary MacKillop paid a visit to the school. Mother Mary wrote in her diary on 29 April 1896 that she ‘was very pleased with the school and children’. The Sisters of Saint Joseph withdrew from the school in 1984 after 99 years of dedicated service to the Armidale Diocese.
The first lay Principal was appointed in 1985.
From this day on the task of providing a Catholic Education to the children of Uralla has been carried on by lay principals and dedicated lay staff. They continue to educate the children in the spirit and traditions of Mother (Blessed) Mary MacKillop. The original school building was completed shortly after the arrival of the nuns in 1886 and is currently used as an administration area. Two separate major building projects have taken place since then. Four classrooms were built in the 1920’s and a further classroom and sick bay were added in the 1980’s. This gives the school its present configuration. In recent years government and school funds have been used on major improvements to the school. Projects included reroofing the administration building, painting, creation of an all-weather sports area, paving, building a new library, a new hall and installing a solar energy plant.