Welcome to St Joseph’s School, Uralla.
Our school was established by the Sisters of Saint Joseph in 1886. In 1896 Mother Mary MacKillop (St Mary of the Cross) paid a visit to the school. Mother Mary wrote in her diary on 29 April 1896 that she ‘was very pleased with the school and children’. The Sisters of Saint Joseph withdrew from the school in 1984 after 99 years of dedicated service to the Armidale Diocese.
“Where Gospel Values of faith, respect, community and service, guide and permeate all learning and behavior”
The original school building was completed shortly after the arrival of the nuns in 1886 and is currently used as an administration area. Two separate major building projects have taken place since then. Four classrooms were built in the 1920’s and a further classroom and sick bay were added in the 1980’s.
During 2009, 2010 and 2011 the school enhanced its physical surroundings. Grants from State and Federal Government and the Parish resulted in approximately $1.2m spent on improvements to the school. Projects included re-roofing the administration building, painting, creation of an all weather sports area, paving, building a new library, a new hall and installing a solar energy plant.
“Where a high standard of education is strengthened by the teaching and example of Catholic faith and tradition.